Using Intermittent Catheters
Depending on your level of injury and hand dexterity, the method you apply for using intermittent catheters may vary. Using a clean technique is a key part of hygiene for catheter use regardless of the type of intermittent catheter prescribed.
Remember it is important for you to follow your doctor’s orders on your care regimen to be sure that you are self-cathing according to the prescribed number of times per day.11
Discretion is also a key part of a daily continence care regimen, as most intermittent catheter users don’t want anyone to know about their catheter use.
Please note that this information provided by BARD Medical is not intended to be used in place of a visit, consultation, or advice of a medical professional.
- Centers for Disease Control Spinal Cord Injury Fact Sheet http://www.cdc.gov/TraumaticBrainInjury/index.html
- National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center Spinal Cord Injury Facts and Figures at a Glance: https://www.nscisc.uab.edu/PublicDocuments/fact_figures_docs/Facts%202013.pdf , https://www.nscisc.uab.edu/PublicDocuments/fact_figures_docs/Facts%202014.pdf
- Cleveland Clinic, Diseases and Conditions – Neurogenic Bladder, http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/neurogenic_bladder/hic-neurogenic-bladder.aspx
- Sauerwein D. Urinary tract infections in patients with Neurogenic bladder dysfunction, Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2002 Jun; 19(6):592-7.
- ASIA International Standards for Neurological Classification of Spinal Cord Injury
- Clinical Neuroanatomy, 27th Edition, McGraw-Hill Education, 2014, Chapter 5-The Spinal Cord, Chapter 6. The Vertebral Column and Other Structures
- Principles and Practice of Hospital Medicine, McGraw-Hill Education, 2012, Chapter 63 – Common Neurosurgical Conditions
- Current Diagnosis and Treatment in Orthopedics, 5th Edition, McGraw-Hill Education, 2014
- Harrisons™ Principles of Internal Medicine, 18th Edition, McGraw-Hill Education, 2012, Chapter 377, Diseases of Spinal Cord
- Smith and Tanagho’s General Urology, 18th Edition. McGraw-Hill Education, 2013
- Textbook of Neurogenic Bladder, J.Corus MD and E.Schick MD, Martin Dunite Ltd., United Kingdon, 2004, Chapter 43 –Conservative Treatment
Information is as of 12/2014. Please check references for updated information.